Believe it or not but this dish is actually one of my lunchtime favourites! It is so quick and easy to prepare. The only things that your office kitchen will need to be equipped with are a sharp knife and a plate. I usually keep an array of frequently used condiments on my desk, such as olive oil, balsamic vinegar, nuts and various spices, so I only need to make sure to pack tomato, mozzarella, ham and basil leaves in the morning when I head off to work. It is extremely satisfying to prepare your own healthy, fresh meals as I like to know what ingredients go in my food (no nasties here!). My main motivation for these lunchtime meal preps though is having the opportunity to get creative! Doesn’t a pretty lunch taste a hundred times better?
For 1 portion
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 mozzarella ball
- 2 slices air-dried or cured ham, such as prosciutto
- Several large basil leaves
- Handful walnuts
- Extra virgin olive oil, drizzled
- Balsamic vinegar, drizzled
- Sea salt
- Cut the tomato cross-wise. Make sure the slices are even. Slice half a mozzarella ball. Very lightly salt and pepper the tomato and mozzarella slices.
- Take the bottom slice of the tomato and place it on the plate. Add a mozzarella slice. Then rip a slice of ham apart and place one half on top of the mozzarella. Add a large or two smaller leaves of fresh basil. Place another slice of tomato on top. Keep repeating the stacking procedure until all pieces are used and the last tomato slice is placed.
- Take the olive oil bottle and place your thumb on the spout so the oil can be drizzled over the tomato and mozzarella tower. Do the same with the balsamic vinegar.
- Break the walnuts into smaller pieces and scatter them on the plate.
- Serve immediately. I would recommend taking off a layer of tomato-mozzarella-ham-basil one by one to make this dish easier to eat.
Author: Danica Utermohlen
Picture credits: Danica Utermohlen
Disclaimer: This recipe has been edited. It was first published on 21/07/2015 for GloTIME, http://glotime.tv/make-lunch-special-tomato-mozzarella-and-basil-tower/